Fall Bulb Planting Guide: Adding Color to Your GardenOctober 15, 2023
Why SunCo Is Your Ideal Choice for Fall Outdoor Commercial Ground ManagementNovember 15, 2023
As the fall season settles in Omaha, Nebraska, it brings with it the perfect opportunity to create a welcoming habitat for our feathered friends. Birdfeeders and birdseed play an essential role in attracting a variety of bird species, allowing us to observe their beauty and contribute to their well-being. In this blog, we will explore the options for birdfeeders and birdseed that are suitable for the fall season in Omaha and provide valuable sources for acquiring them.
The Importance of Birdfeeders and Birdseed
Birdfeeders serve as convenient stations for birds to find nourishment, especially during periods when natural food sources become scarce. By providing a steady supply of birdseed, you can attract different bird species to your backyard and provide them with the energy they need for migration or surviving the winter months.
Choosing the Right Birdseed
When selecting birdseed, it’s important to choose varieties that are suitable for the bird species found in Omaha during the fall. A diverse mix of seeds can attract a wide range of birds. Some common seeds to consider include:
- Black oil sunflower seeds: Loved by many bird species, these seeds provide a high source of energy and are easy to crack.
- Safflower seeds: Squirrels and larger birds tend to avoid safflower seeds, making them a good choice for attracting smaller bird species.
- Nyjer (thistle) seeds: These tiny black seeds are a favorite among finches, sparrows, and other small birds.
- Cracked corn: Attract ground-feeding birds such as juncos, towhees, and sparrows with cracked corn.
Types of Birdfeeders
There are various types of birdfeeders available to cater to different bird species and their feeding preferences. Here are a few popular options:
- Tube feeders: These cylindrical feeders with multiple feeding ports are suitable for smaller birds and can hold a variety of birdseed types.
- Platform feeders: These open trays provide a larger feeding space and attract a wide range of bird species, including ground-feeding birds.
- Suet feeders: Suet is a high-energy food source made from animal fat. Suet feeders are designed to hold suet cakes and attract woodpeckers, nuthatches, and other birds that cling to feeders.
- Hummingbird feeders: Omaha is home to hummingbirds during the fall migration season. Fill hummingbird feeders with nectar made of four parts water and one part white granulated sugar.
Where to Find Birdfeeders and Birdseed in Omaha
- Audubon Society of Omaha (https://audubon-omaha.org/main-bird-seed-sale-page.html): The Audubon Society offers high-quality birdseed for sale, ensuring you can provide the best nourishment for your feathered visitors.
- Wild Bird Habitat Store (https://wildbirdhabitatstore.com/): This family-owned store specializes in a wide range of birdseed, birdfeeders, and accessories, offering everything you need to create a bird-friendly environment.
- For the Wild Birds (https://forthewildbirds.com/): Located in Omaha, For the Wild Birds offers all-natural seed and feed to make your yard or acreage a haven for local bird species.
Remember, cleaning and maintaining your birdfeeders regularly is important to prevent the spread of avian diseases. Provide fresh water alongside the birdseed to cater to birds’ hydration needs. By incorporating birdfeeders and the appropriate birdseed in your Omaha backyard this fall, you can create a haven for birds, observe their fascinating behaviors, and contribute to their overall well-being. We would love to talk about keeping your landscape in tip-top shape and having bushes and trees available for our feathered friends.